Cabins Calendar Pictures Rates History Links Contact
Horse

Longview

Homestead

Schoolhouse

Cabin

Bedroom

Lake

Trail

Sunset

Orzel Sign


Brusally historical excerpts by Tobi Lopez Taylor


In 1941, Ed and Ruth Tweed established a farm in Lake Forest, Illinois, that they named “Brusally,” after their son Bruce and daughter Sally. There, they raised shorthorn cattle and had some saddle horses.

Ed and Ruth Tweed

In 1950, the Tweeds built a large ranch in Scottsdale, Arizona -- known as Brusally Ranch -- where they began to breed Arabian horses. (This ranch, now defunct, was located where today's Scottsdale County Club now stands.) Ed was a founding member of the Arabian Horse Association of Arizona, as well as its first president. He and Ruth, along with Philip and Helen Wrigley and Fowler and Shelley McCormick, sponsored the first All-Arabian Horse Show — now nationally famous as the annual Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show.

Brusally Ranch Entrance

In 1957, the Tweeds bought another ranch -- also known as Brusally Ranch -- near Show Low, Arizona. This last acquisition was something of an antique, dating from the days when Arizona was still a territory. The ranch property had previously been a Mormon settlement known variously as Pineyon, Penrod, and Piñon. This ghost settlement’s Old West romance appealed to Ed, and he made a project of restoring the main house, and the buildings that had once served as post office, blacksmith shop, bunkhouse, and schoolhouse.

Brusally Ranch Sign

“When we got there,” Ed reported, “the schoolhouse was full of hay, and the stable was full of desks, schoolbooks, and even pupils’ papers.” Ed and Ruth transformed the former Mormon settlement into a cattle ranch as well as summer training grounds for their Arabian horses.

Lake Pasture

On the east side of the property is the beautifully landscaped Orzel Park, which is a popular spot for picnics. Some of the ranch’s famous Arabians are buried at the park, including the champions Orzel, Brusally Orzetyn, and Brusally Orzelyna.

Orzel Park

Today, the ranch is overseen by Ed and Ruth’s daughter, Sally Tweed Groom, and her daughter, Chaille Groom Trevor. Continuing the family tradition, Chaille brings all of her Brusally horses to summer at the Piñon ranch.

Horse

The high country Brusally Ranch has been opened to guests for several years. They come to enjoy the seclusion, some bring their horses to ride the trails, others to fish in the stocked lake. Only 3 cabins are available so make your reservation early.

Kitchen

The high-country Brusally Ranch guest season runs from June to October.

For more information or to make reservations, contact Shelley using one of the following numbers:
• cell 480-268-1318
• from October - April call Cave Creek 480 595-8342
• from May - September, call Brusally Ranch 480 595-8342

We offer beautiful scenery and a comfortable stay, surrounded by Sitgreaves National Forest.


Cabins | Calendar | Pictures | Rates | History | Links | Contact
(c) 2010 by Brusally Ranch - All Rights Reserved